Similar to Uber, Lyft insurance is divided into two categories when the driver has a passenger in the vehicle or has the app on but is not on the way to pick up a passenger. That corresponds to period 1. The insurance policy limits in Period 1 are:
- $50,000 of physical injury liability coverage per person injured per accident.
- $100,000 of physical injury liability coverage per accident.
- $30,000 of property damage liability coverage in an accident.
Periods 2 & 3
After the Lyft driver has accepted the trip, they are considered in Period 2. After they pick up the passenger, they will be in Period 3.
Lyft provides drivers in Period 2 and 3 with:
- $1 million in commercial auto insurance
- $1 million in underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage
Their personal auto insurance will be used to cover the accident if the driver was offline at the time of the accident.